Our Mission

Bringing together, promoting and assisting heritage & historical organizations located in Southeastern Ontario, Canada.

Site Map

Sister Site

  • Heritage Talk - A place to 'talk shop' with local historical and heritage organizations.

Originally, four municipalities of South Crosby, Bastard and South Burgess, Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne and Newboro established a union library system with headquarters and main branch in the village of Elgin. Six library branches (eventually five) operated in this fashion until 1998.

With the formation of the new Rideau Lakes Township, we were joined by South Elmsley library housed in the Lombardy Public School. We started up a new library branch in Newboro in that year to serve North Crosby and Newboro ward. Our headquarters were expanded and improved. For three years, we operated as Rideau Lakes/Rear of of Leeds and Lansdowne Union Library with seven branches.

In January 2001, our library entered a new chapter of its history. Our long-term partner, Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne amalgamated with two neighboring municipalities to the south to form Leeds and the 1000 Islands. As a result, we became the Rideau Lakes Public Library, a municipal library with five branches in Elgin, Delta, Portland, Newboro and South Elmsley.

Presently, we serve Rideau Lakes municipal residents as well as several thousand seasonal cottagers. We continue to work closely with our old partners sharing an internal courier service, reciprocal borrowing and using the same database system. 

Location: Google Maps
Contact: Sue Warren, CEO
(613) 359-5334  
swarren@rideaulakeslibrary.ca
Library Website

Mailing Address:
Rideau Lakes Public Library
Box 189
26 Halladay St.
Elgin, ON
K0G 1E0